Subject: Re: [boost] Seems like I need write-access to merge a PR
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-25 18:17:17

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Fernando Cacciola via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> but even though I'm logged with my Github account, it appears I don't have
> write-access to merge this PR.

I'm not a fan of using the GitHub web interface to merge pull requests
because this needlessly creates a "merge commit" (usually with one
side of the merge having just one commit) which interferes with a
linear history (I prefer a linear history except for when there are
two ongoing topical branches that are merged at some point).

> Can you simplify the steps needed, these days, to fix a bug on a library? specially
> if someone else already created a PR as in this case?

The workflow I use is as follows:

* Fork the upstream repository (Press Fork in the top right of the
GitHub interface)

* Clone your fork locally using the command line

    git clone git_at_[hidden]:fcacciola/numeric_conversion.git

* Add a remote for the user submitting the pull request

    git remote add blowaxd git_at_[hidden]:BlowXD/numeric_conversion.git

* Fetch the remote repository

    git remote fetch blowaxd

* Cherry-pick or fast-forward merge the changes into the main branch

    cd <local-repo-dir>
    git checkout master

    git merge --ff-only blowaxd/fix-compiling
    # OR
    git cherry-pick blowaxd/fix-compiling

There are a lot of tutorials on how to use git from the command line I
suggest studying them, it is an ongoing educational process. The Git
workflow is very helpful for people that collaborate. Git is very
powerful and quite a useful tool, I believe it has longevity.

Thanks