Subject: Re: [boost] [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-11-04 15:42:29

On 11/4/2017 11:23 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
>> > msm
>>
>> This one has significant unmerged differences between master and
>> develop. Is Christophe active?
>
> The situation is similar in 'ptr_container': many significant
> differences between master in develop. In addition, the tests fail, in a
> manner that does not immediately evoke a fix.
>
> The tests for 'assign' fail too.
>
> 'assign' and 'ptr_container' seem candidates for community maintenance.

It is a real problem to find people to take over maintenance of a
library when the author or current maintainer can no longer do so. I am
surprised that Eric Niebler ( foreach, xpressive in the title ) no
longer maintains his libraries because they are usually so solid they
need little maintaining, but everyone eventually moves on to other
things. I do wish that the Boost Steering Committee would be more
proactive in encouraging C++ programmers who might be good enough to
maintain a Boost library to do so, when they post on the list about
having an interest in Boost. More libraries placed in CMT is not a
viable long-term solution because of the limited numbers of developers
in the CMT group.