Subject: Re: [boost] Candidate for 1.66.1, if there is one
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-12-23 18:49:22

AMDG

On 12/23/2017 11:25 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> On 12/23/17 9:51 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
>> James E. King, III wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Craft a version 0 output stream manually or with the help of
>>> serialization code directly in the test, then read it in.
>>
>> This looks perfectly sensible to me. Is there a problem with it?
>
> LOL - I'm not sure you're thinking of a one time effort or a general
> solution.  In either case, I'm thinking it would be more effort than
> first meets the eye.
>
> Another way would be think about enhancing the test infrastructure to
> save/maintain older versions of the test output files.  This would be
> pretty useful, but looks like quite an effort and lots of resources.

  I think something like this should be stored in git
along with tests, rather being maintained directly by
the test infrastructure. (We really want the format
to be memorialised for all time, regardless of future
changes to the test system). It should be pretty simple
to set up for portable archive formats. The main problem
that I see is sorting out which binary archive is for
the current platform.

pseudo-code:
dir = guess_archive_directory_for_platform()
test_loading_all_old_archives(dir)
write_current_archive_format(new_file)
if new_file is not identical to one of the old
  archives then error: "archive format has changed"

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe