Subject: Re: [boost] Candidate for 1.66.1, if there is one
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-12-23 19:19:04

James E. King, III wrote:

> > > 1. Craft a version 0 output stream manually or with the help of
> > > serialization code directly in the test, then read it in.
> >
> > This looks perfectly sensible to me. Is there a problem with it?
>
> I have a pull request out that does this, please check it out:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/58

I agree with Steven - I think that the v0 serialized source should not be
generated by the current codebase, but generated once by the old codebase
and then preserved and hardcoded into the test.

Otherwise you're not testing whether you can read old files - you're testing
whether you can read new-compatible-with-old files.