Subject: Re: [boost] Reforming Boost.System and <system_error> round 2
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-17 10:00:57

<snip>

> "There's nothing ambuguous about the conversion operator, "

You seem to have serendipitously invented a new word ' ambuguous ' that aptly describes this whole sorry mess ;-)

Coming from outside C, (especially VMS where success == 1, not 0)

   if(ec)

was and is, for me, definitely ambuguous!

and other C-savvy posters in this thread confirm.

No solution is going to be painless. I'd avoid trying to force any retrofit (because of downstream revalidation costs), but enforce use of Outcome (and >= C++11) on new libraries.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse