Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Python library suffix change
From: Adam Majer (amajer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-09 11:18:58

On 02/07/2018 03:20 AM, Stefan Seefeld via Boost wrote:
> I'm proposing a naming change that affects all libraries that use the
> `python.jam` build logic, i.e. Boost.Python, as well as libraries
> providing Python bindings (as far as I can tell, this is only Boost.MPI,
> but perhaps I'm missing some).
>
> At present, the Boost.Python build logic produces a library named
> "boost_python", if built with Python2, and "boost_python3", if built
> with Python3. I'd like to change that so the actual Python version
> suffix (e.g. "27" for Python 2.7) is being used. Not only would this
> simplify / unify naming conventions, it also allows users to collocate
> libraries compiled against multiple Python versions more easily.

I think this is already done in cases where this is required. For
example, in openSUSE:Factory we have,

/usr/lib64/libboost_python-py2_7.so.1.66.0
/usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.66.0

And in Debian
(https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/libboost-python1.62-dev/filelist)

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_python-py27.a
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_python-py35.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_python-py36.so

so I'm not sure what is the target audience if the distributions are
already doing this anyway. Everyone will just have to adapt their code
(including distributions' build scripts) because of Boost library changes.

- Adam