Subject: Re: [boost] C++03 / C++11 compatibility question for compiled libraries
From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-11 20:32:33

> Boost would basically be saying to end-users, if you are using
such-and-such a library we can no longer test it in C++03 mode.

Compiler vendors are not going to focus on improving legacy support for
outdated standards. Why should boost? I don't see any new web programs
being written in javascript version 3, on node v1, targeting an IE 5
client. Why should people who insist on doing that in c++ be supported? It
just wastes everyone else's time.

The message should be, "upgrade your compiler, or get out of the way.
You're holding everyone else up with your buggy old non-conforming
compiler."

I have seen some lame excuses as to why people can't (won't) upgrade, and
that's fine, if people are happy with legacy compilers then presumably
they're happy with legacy versions of libraries. Let them remain on boost
1.66.

All this legacy support simply clutters up boost and makes it unnecessarily
complicated.

Arguably, boost has more market penetration than any one compiler. If word
gets around that a vendor's compiler is not compatible with boost, that
vendor is at risk of people dropping their garbage compiler like a hot
stone. This is in reality no different to being incompatible with the
standard library. It would be commercial suicide. They will fix their
compilers rather than lose market share.

c++ needs to move forward. Slavish devotion to backwards compatibility is a
burden it can not afford.

On 11 February 2018 at 19:36, Edward Diener via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]