Subject: Re: [boost] C++03 / C++11 compatibility question for compiled libraries
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-11 22:11:29

On 2/11/2018 3:32 PM, Richard Hodges via Boost wrote:
>> Boost would basically be saying to end-users, if you are using
> such-and-such a library we can no longer test it in C++03 mode.
>
> Compiler vendors are not going to focus on improving legacy support for
> outdated standards. Why should boost? I don't see any new web programs
> being written in javascript version 3, on node v1, targeting an IE 5
> client. Why should people who insist on doing that in c++ be supported? It
> just wastes everyone else's time.
>
> The message should be, "upgrade your compiler, or get out of the way.
> You're holding everyone else up with your buggy old non-conforming
> compiler."
>
> I have seen some lame excuses as to why people can't (won't) upgrade, and
> that's fine, if people are happy with legacy compilers then presumably
> they're happy with legacy versions of libraries. Let them remain on boost
> 1.66.
>
> All this legacy support simply clutters up boost and makes it unnecessarily
> complicated.
>
> Arguably, boost has more market penetration than any one compiler. If word
> gets around that a vendor's compiler is not compatible with boost, that
> vendor is at risk of people dropping their garbage compiler like a hot
> stone. This is in reality no different to being incompatible with the
> standard library. It would be commercial suicide. They will fix their
> compilers rather than lose market share.
>
> c++ needs to move forward. Slavish devotion to backwards compatibility is a
> burden it can not afford.

Thee are two completely different things here when discussing C++03
versus C++11 on up. They are:

1) Should Boost support its libraries when end-users compile in C++03 mode ?

2) Should Boost libraries themselves be required to support C++11 in
some way, although I am still waiting to understand what that way
appears to be from you or others whose rhetoric isn't saying very much
to me ?

As far as 1) is concerned, I think Boost must consider that this may be
disappointing to end-users who still work in applications which do not
support C++11 on up compilation. I am not saying you are wrong in your
opinion, I am just saying that Boost has to understand what this means
to some number of end-users before deciding to go in this direction.

As for 2) I see absolutely no practical difference between a library
which compiles and works fine in C++11 on up mode, yet uses no construct
or library which is part of the C++11 on up standard, and a library
which uses some construct or library which is part of the C++11 on up
standard, and also works fine when compiled in C++11 on up mode.