Subject: Re: [boost] C++03 / C++11 compatibility question for compiled libraries
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-11 23:01:16

On 2/11/2018 5:16 PM, degski via Boost wrote:
> On 11 February 2018 at 15:55, Edward Diener via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]
>> wrote:
>
>> What exactly do you mean by C++03 is not supported ?
>

> I mean that if testing of Boost is not supported for C++03, that
> effectively means that Boost does not support C++03.

You are saying then that what you mean by "C++03 is not supported" is
compiling in C++03 mode.

>> In other words what do you think constitutes a C++03 library versus a
>> C++11 library, such that a Boost C++03 library should not be supported ?
>>

> These things are obviously not necessarily mutually exclusive. A C++11
> library is a lib that requires C++11 (be it libs a la std::array, or
> r-value references), a C++03-library is one that uses constructs not in the
> C++11 standard. Admittedly those constructs are only a handful. However,
> going forward, more and more constructs are being deprecated (and will
> subsequently be removed, cppreference.com tags quite some things
> deprecated). Then there are those libraries that don't support move
> semantics, while they could benefit from it.

I also think that Boost libraries should successfully compile in at
least C++11 mode. But I hope you realize that is different from saying
that C++03 libraries, meaning libraries not using C++11or above
constructs or libraries, should not be part of Boost.