Subject: Re: [boost] C++03 / C++11 compatibility question for compiled libraries
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-11 22:16:34

On 11 February 2018 at 15:55, Edward Diener via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]
> wrote:

> What exactly do you mean by C++03 is not supported ?

I mean that if testing of Boost is not supported for C++03, that
effectively means that Boost does not support C++03.

> In other words what do you think constitutes a C++03 library versus a
> C++11 library, such that a Boost C++03 library should not be supported ?

These things are obviously not necessarily mutually exclusive. A C++11
library is a lib that requires C++11 (be it libs a la std::array, or
r-value references), a C++03-library is one that uses constructs not in the
C++11 standard. Admittedly those constructs are only a handful. However,
going forward, more and more constructs are being deprecated (and will
subsequently be removed, cppreference.com tags quite some things
deprecated). Then there are those libraries that don't support move
semantics, while they could benefit from it.

degski