Subject: Re: [boost] Legal problem with Stackoverflow contribution under the "Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 3.0" license
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-21 09:06:09

> I could understand that you could have good reasons to don't change. You
> always have good reasons.

For an industry mostly concerned with generating valuable IP, the
widespread school child level of ignorance regarding how law treats IP
is consistently stunning. Otherwise intelligent engineers regularly
conflate copyright, patents and trademarks, and consistently get wrong
what is and is not plagiarism. They think that copy and paste is bad,
and rewriting code they find on the internet is good. Many open source
projects operate a "10 lines" rule, where if a snippet is less than ten
lines long, then treat it as free of ownership.

It's not that simple in the real world, and many, many startups have
come very badly unstuck after they reach a certain size despite having
written great code which usefully was disrupting an entire industry. Yet
stupid, school child mistakes in how they wrote their code kills off the
company. Despite all this, an industry wide tolerance of profound
ignorance of IP continues. We need to do better.

> Sorry, I've not read the whole thread.
>
> Nevertheless doing such minor change is not costly at all.
>
> Andrey Semashev has proposed himself to provide a patch.

Open source lets anybody modify any code for whatever reasons they have.
But I will not personally engage in brushing a problem under the carpet.
It's wrong to hide problems instead of dealing with them.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting