Subject: Re: [boost] [yap] review part 3: tests + misc + summary
From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-21 06:16:18

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Steven Watanabe via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 02/19/2018 08:38 PM, Zach Laine via Boost wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 11:13 AM, Steven Watanabe via Boost <
> > boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

[snip]

> >> Unfortunately,
> >> transform/evaluate doesn't work well if evaluation
> >> involves any special constructs that affect control-flow.
> >> Just try to handle something like this:
> >> let(_a=2) [ _a + 1 ] // evaluates to 3
> >>

> > That does not look problematic to me, though I don't know what the
> intended
> > semantics are.
>
> http://www.boost.org/libs/phoenix/doc/html/phoenix/modules/scope/let.html
>
> > If _a is a terminal and refers to something for which "= 2"
> > and "+1" are well-formed, I would expect even evaluate() to do the right
> > thing.
> >

> _a is a placeholder. _a = 2 is not an assignment
> to some external object. It is a variable definition
> that is scoped within the let expression. It's not really
> possible to transform this into something that can be
> evaluated in a single pass. I claim that it is impossible
> to implement `let` using Yap without duplicating all the
> work of evaluate. (Keep in mind that `let` can be nested
> and can be mixed with if_else.)

That looks like a great candidate for an example, so I made one out of it:

https://github.com/tzlaine/yap/commit/4b383f9343a2a8affaf132c5be1eeb99a56e58df

It took most of the examples from the documentation page you posted above,
and it works for them, including nesting. For instance:

        boost::yap::evaluate(
            let(_a = 1_p, _b = 2_p)
            [
                // _a here is an int: 1

               let(_a = 3_p) // hides the outer _a
               [
                   cout << _a << _b // prints "Hello, World"
               ]
            ],
            1, " World", "Hello,"
        );

That's verbatim from the Phoenix docs (except for the yap::evaluate() call
of course), with the same behavior. The entire example is only 158 lines,
including empty lines an some comment lines. The trick is to make let() a
regular eager function and leave everything else lazy Yap expression
stuff. I don't know if this counts as evaluation in "a single pass" as you
first mentioned, but I don't care, because the user won't care either --
she can't really tell.

[snip]

> I don't yet get what you're suggesting here. Right now, transform()
> > returns whatever you tell it to,
>
> The issue is not what I'm telling it to do,
> but rather what it does on its own when I
> don't tell it anything.

I take it from this that you mean the copying of nodes unmatched by the
transform object. If so, I think this is covered by transform_strict() (as
I'm provisionally calling it), that hard-errors on unmatched nodes. Does
that suffice, or are there other aspects you find problematic?

> > except that it doesn't special-case void
> > return. You can (I have have extensively in the examples) return an
> > Expression or non-Expression from a transform, or from any subset of
> > overloads your transform object provides. What is the behavior that
> you're
> > suggesting?
> >

> You've chosen to make it impossible to customize
> the behavior of evaluate. I believe that Brook
> brought up evaluate_with_context, which is basically
> what I want.

Yes, I have. I don't believe you actually want otherwise, though. Such a
tailored evaluate() would look something like this:

evaluate_with_context(expr, context, placeholder_subs...); // the subs are
of course optional

What does evaluate_with_context now do? Let's say expr is "a + b". Does
the context only apply to the evaluation of a and b as terminals, or does
it apply to the plus operation as well? Are such applications of the
context conditional? How does the reader quickly grasp what the
evaluate_with_context() call does? This seems like really muddy code to
me. If you have something else in mind, please provide more detail -- I
may of course be misunderstanding you.

> >> This has the side effect that you must explicitly wrap
> >> terminals when returning, but I think that's actually a
> >> good thing, as a transform that returns unwrapped terminals,
> >> expecting them to be wrapped by the caller, may have
> >> inconsistent behaviour.
> >> In addition, there is another possible mode that has
> >> better type safety which I will call:
> >> 4. manual: No default behavior. If a node is not handled
> >> explicitly, it is a hard compile error.
> >>

> > But this isn't transform() at all, because it doesn't recurse. It only
> > matches the top-level expression, or you get a hard error. Why not just
> > write my_func() that takes a certain expression and returns another?
>
> You're right. The only benefit is that tag
> transforms are a bit more convenient. Also,
> it allows for a more consistent interface.
>
> > Calling it with the wrong type of expression will result your desired
> hard
> > error. Wait, is the use case that I think my transform matches all
> > subexpressions within the top-level expression, and I want to verify that
> > this is the case? I don't know how often that will come up. I can't
> think
> > of a single time I've written a Yap transform expecting it to match all
> > nodes, except to evaluate it. It could be useful in those cases now
> that I
> > think of it.
> >

> If you're building a completely new grammar
> whose meaning has no relationship to the built
> in meaning of the operators, (e.g. Spirit),
> then you basically have to handle everything
> explicitly.

Ok, I'm convinced this is a good idea. I've added a GitHub ticket about
creating a transform_strict(), as I mentioned above.

> >> - Combining transforms isn't exactly easy, because of
> >> the way transforms recurse. For example, if I have
> >> two transforms that process disjoint sets of nodes,
> >> I can't really turn them into a single transform.
> >>

> > I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but how would combining
> transforms
> > work? Would each node be matched against multiple transform objects,
> using
> > whichever one works, or something else?
> >

> Probably the behavior is to choose the
> first one that matches. That would make
> it easy to write a transform that overrides
> some behavior of another transform. (Note
> that I really have no idea how to make
> something like this actually work.)

Well if *you* don't... :) I'll wait until you get back to me with more
details before I bite off such a feature.

> >> - How useful is it to separate the Expression concept
> >> from the ExpressionTemplate concept?
> >

> > Types and templates are not the same kind of entity. I don't know how to
> > even go about combining these. Moreover, I think they should remain
> > separated, because sometimes a function takes an Expression, sometimes
> not,
> > sometimes it requires an ExpressionTemplate template parameter, and
> > sometimes not. These are orthogonal requirements for the caller, no?
> >

> >> For example,
> >> transform requires an ExpressionTemplate for nodes
> >> that are not handled explicitly, but that isn't very
> >> clear from the documentation, which just says that
> >> it takes an Expression.
> >>

> > I don't understand what you mean. transform() does not require an
> > extrinsic ExpressionTemplate template parameter, and does not use one.
> It
> > just recycles the ExpressionTemplate that was originally used to
> > instantiate whatever it needs to copy.
> >

> Let me rephrase the question:
> Is it useful to allow Expressions that are not
> instantiations of an ExpressionTemplate, given
> that transform can choke on such classes.

Hm. I think this is a documentation failure. I need to look and see what
the actual requirements are. I think it should always be fine to have
non-template-derived Expressions in terminals. This is where one usually
writes them anyway.

> >> - You say that it's fine to mix and match expressions that
> >> are instantiated from different templates. Why would
> >> I want to do this? The first thing that comes to mind
> >> is combining two independent libraries that both use YAP,
> >> but I suspect that that won't work out very well.
> >> It seems a bit too easy for a transform to inadvertently
> >> recurse into an unrelated expression tree in this case.
> >>

> > I have two types, M and S (m and s are two objects of those respective
> > types). M is matrix-like, and has m*m in its set of well-formed
> > expressions; m[x] is ill-formed for any x. S is string-like, and has
> > s[int(2)] in its set of well-formed expressions; s*s is ill-formed. M
> and
> > S are in the same library, one that I maintain.
> >
> > If I want to use these in Yap expressions, I probably want to be able to
> > write m*m and s[5], but not m[2] or s*s. So I write two expression
> > templates with the right operations defined:
> >
> > template <...>
> > struct m_expr
> > {
> > // ...
> > BOOST_YAP_USER_BINARY_OPERATOR_MEMBER(times, ::m_expr)
> > };
> >
> > template <...>
> > struct s_expr
> > {
> > // ...
> > BOOST_YAP_USER_BINARY_OPERATOR_MEMBER(aubscript, ::s_expr)
> > };
> >
> > Now I can write a Yap expression like:
> >
> > lookup_matrix(S("my_matrix")) * some_matrix
> >
> > and transform() it how ever I like. Requiring the two *_expr templates
> > be unified would be weird.
> >

> It seems a bit odd to have matrices and strings in
> one library, rather than matrices and vectors, but
> I get your point. Please consider adding something
> like this to the documentation.

Will do.

> > - The value of a terminal cannot be another expression.
> >> Is this a necessary restriction?
> >

> > Not really; I probably put that restriction there due to lack of
> > imagination. Terminals' values should be treated as simple types, but
> I'm
> > pretty sure there's no real reason those types can't happen to model
> > Expression.
> >

> >> (This is related to
> >> mixing different libraries using YAP, as the most
> >> common form is for library A to treat the expressions
> >> from library B as terminals. Since a terminal can't
> >> hold an Expression, we would need to somehow un-YAP
> >> them first.)
> >>

> > As I outlined above, I don't think that's going to be the most common
> case
> > of mixing ExpressionTemplates in a single Yap expression.
> >

> That's why I said mixing different *libraries*, not
> just mixing different templates from a single library
> (which are most likely intended to work together).
> The basic idea is that library A creates expressions
> that are models of some concept C, while library B
> expects a terminal that models the same concept C.
> library A and library B know nothing about each other,
> and are only connected because they both know about C.

I want to see a compelling example of this causing a problem. My
expectation is that my transform overloads will only match the types or
patterns of types I specify. If I visit N nodes in a tree, and half of
them are from library A and half from library B, my transform overloads are
probably going to match only within the half that I anticipated. If this
is not the case, it's probably because I've written the overloads loosely
on purpose, or too loosely and need to fix my code.

> >> - Unwrapping terminals redux:
> >> Unwrapping terminals is convenient when you have
> >> terminals of the form:
> >> struct xxx_tag {};
> >> auto xxx = make_terminal(xxx_tag{});
> >> AND you are explicitly matching this terminal with
> >> auto operator()(call_tag, xxx_tag, T...) or the like.
> >> I expect that matching other terminals like double
> >> or int is somewhat more rare in real code. If you
> >> are matching any subexpression, then unwrapping
> >> terminals is usually wrong.
> >

> > Why do you say that? The only way it is the way it is now is
> convenience,
> > as you might have guessed. When I know I want to match a particular
> > terminal of a particular type, I'd rather write:
> >
> > auto operator(some_unary_tag, some_type && x);
> > auto operator(some_unary_tag, some_type const & x);
> >
> > versus:
> >
> > auto operator(some_unary_tag, my_expr<yap::expr_kind::terminal,
> some_type
> > &&> const & x);
> > auto operator(some_unary_tag, my_expr<yap::expr_kind::terminal,
> some_type
> > const &> const & x);
> >
> > This latter form is what I started with, and I very quickly grew tired of
> > writing all that.
> >

> You can always use a typedef or alias. i.e. my_term<some_type&&>.

I decided to conduct this experiment and see how it went. I removed the
terminal_value() function and all its uses from default_eval.hpp; this is
all that was required to disable terminal unwrapping. Almost immediately,
I ran into something I did not want to deal with. From one of the tests:

        decltype(auto) operator()(
            yap::expr_tag<yap::expr_kind::call>, tag_type, double a, double
b) { /* ... */ }

Now, the tag type part is not so bad. As you mentioned, I can just
write my_term<tag_type>
or similar. Now, what about the doubles? In order to match one of those,
etc., because the normal reference binding and copying rules of parameter
passing can no longer help me. It doesn't matter that I only want to use
"b" as a double by-value, it matters what the user happened to write in the
expression I'm transforming. The alternative is of course to write generic
code to catch a plain ol' double, which I object to philosophically and
pragmatically. We're back to writing a and b as AExpr and BExpr
template-parameterized types, but because those might also match some ints
or std::strings or whatever, we're also going to need to write some sfinae
or concept constraints.

> > If I match a generic expression that may or may not be a terminal, I do
> > have to use yap::as_expr(), which is definitely an inconvenience:
> >
> > template <typename Expr>
> > auto operator(some_unary_tag, Expr const & x) {
> > return some_function_of(yap::as_expr(x));
> > }
> >

> My intuition is that this is the most common pattern,
> and should be what we optimize for. Also, changing
> terminals to yap::expression may cause random
> weirdness if the transform returns an Expression.
> In addition, I feel that needing to call as_expr
> is more surprising than needing to write out the
> the terminal as an expression.

I agree that this is the most likely more common pattern. It's just that
when you *do* want to match terminals, especially more than one at the same
time, the pain of doing it without terminal unwrapping if far greater than
the pain of using as_expr() in code like the common case above.

> Actually... I have a much better idea. Why
> don't you allow transform for a non-expr to match
> a terminal tag transform?

I've read this a few times now and cannot parse. Could you rephrase?

Zach