Subject: Re: [boost] New Astronomy Library
From: Pranam Lashkari (plashkari628_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-22 14:14:55

Sorry for taking too long to replay as I was talking to one of my friends
who is a scientist and works in an observatory.

I completely agree with you that scientist would not move from Python to
C++ easily. But Astronomical data are getting bigger in size and Python
takes too much time to compute them (according to my scientist friend).
That's where C++ can be a dramatic improvement.

Coming to the point of the structure of the library, when I said that we
can follow the structure of Astropy I meant "class structure"(class
hierarchy) and API.

*Now the point is what we can do with this library:*
In observatories to make day to day programming easy, these are some
specific topics which can be covered here,

   1. Noise reduction in astronomical data(various algorithms)
   2. Galaxy morphological classification(classification based on visual
   appearance)
   3. Comparison of images(To find the motion of moving object in space)
   4. Object detection
   5. Light curves of variable stars
   6. Spectroscopy

Above mentioned topics were suggested to me because these are used on daily
basis and can make things faster.

now coming to the amateurs

   1. the coordinate system can help to plan out observations.
   2. reading data from a file(astronomical catalogs)
   3. Creating observation lists

*So the ultimate goal of this library would be to make day to day astronomy
easy and faster by providing features that are used on daily basis by
professionals and amateurs.*

thank you.
pranam lashkari.