Subject: Re: [boost] [yap] review part 3: tests + misc + summary
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-21 23:30:13

AMDG

On 02/20/2018 11:16 PM, Zach Laine via Boost wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Steven Watanabe via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> <snip>
>>>>

>>> I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but how would combining
>> transforms
>>> work? Would each node be matched against multiple transform objects,
>> using
>>> whichever one works, or something else?
>>>

>> Probably the behavior is to choose the
>> first one that matches. That would make
>> it easy to write a transform that overrides
>> some behavior of another transform. (Note
>> that I really have no idea how to make
>> something like this actually work.)
>

> Well if *you* don't... :) I'll wait until you get back to me with more
> details before I bite off such a feature.

  So, here's a concrete example of the problem
I'm trying to solve:

  Suppose that Alice defines let(_a=1)[_a] as
as we talked about, along with a let_transform
that can be used with transform_evaluate.
Now, Bob also thinks that Yap is really cool
and defines switch_(1_p)[case_<1>("one"), case_<2>("two")]
with a corresponding switch_transform which,
again, works with transform_evaluate. Finally,
Carol comes along and wants to write:
let(_a=5)[switch_(_a)[case_<5>("Five")]].
How do we combine let_transform and switch_transform?

  It may be that the best solution is for let_transform
and switch_transform to use CRTP (which doesn't require
anything from Yap).

  The original reason I was thinking this way is that
if transforms were somehow composable, then we wouldn't
need transform_evaluate, as it could be implemented like:
auto transform_evaluate(auto&& expr, auto&& t) {
  return transform(expr, combine_transforms(t, default_evaluate{}));
}

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe