Subject: Re: [boost] PR: Remove safe_bool idiom from boost.tribool
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-05-19 05:55:13

On 19 May 2018 at 00:17, Robert Ramey via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> The motivating concept behind tribool is that of some sort of "extended"
> bool. The naming suggests that it acts like a bool.

I would submit that the name is wrong. From the introduction: " The 3-state
boolean library contains a single class, boost::logic::tribool
<https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_67_0/doc/html/boost/logic/tribool.html>,
along with support functions and operator overloads that implement 3-state
boolean logic." Boolean logic has 2 states, the latter part of the quote is
a contradiction in terms. Other logic "systems" are applicable:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-valued_logic

degski

--
*"If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*