Subject: Re: [boost] GCC versions
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-05-28 08:56:23

On 05/27/18 17:54, Ian Emmons via Boost wrote:
> Apologies if this is off topic, but the audience here is perfect for this question:
>
> I need to support CentOS version 7 with my C++ software. The version of GCC that is supported out-of-the-box on that version of Linux is rather old -- it supports C++11, but not C++14, and of course I would like to use a newer standard.
>
> Is it common practice on Linux to install a later version of GCC than the out-of-the-box on version? If so, how do you handle the run-time shared library dependencies? Any pointers would be helpful.

This is an offtopic discussion. This mailing list is about Boost
libraries development. You should probably try asking on StackOverflow.

To answer your question though, I wouldn't say it is common but it is
possible. If you can't find pre-built packages for your system, you can
always build the compiler yourself from sources. The usual caveats
include ensuring that the default compiler stays the same as the
original version shipped with the OS. This may be needed e.g. for DKMS.