Subject: [boost] GCC versions
From: Ian Emmons (ian_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-05-27 14:54:01

Apologies if this is off topic, but the audience here is perfect for this question:

I need to support CentOS version 7 with my C++ software. The version of GCC that is supported out-of-the-box on that version of Linux is rather old -- it supports C++11, but not C++14, and of course I would like to use a newer standard.

Is it common practice on Linux to install a later version of GCC than the out-of-the-box on version? If so, how do you handle the run-time shared library dependencies? Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ian