Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Signals deprecation and removal
From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-06-21 15:34:28

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 7:13 AM Olaf van der Spek via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 1:44 PM, Mike via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> > > Isn't deprecation the warning?
> > That depends on what deprecation means.
> > Currently the warning message just says:
> > > [1]Boost.Signals is no longer being maintained and is now
> deprecated.
> > [...]
> > No mention of removal. The documentation even says
>
> "deprecated status may also indicate the feature will be removed in the
> future."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation

That's what deprecation means in the general case, but many, many open
source projects and other organizations deprecate and then never remove
things. It's not reasonable for everyone to have the same expectations for
deprecation. All I mean by this is please be explicit.

I'd like to point out that Boost.Signals2 is threadsafe, and you pay for
that, to the tune of 2x slower performance than Boost.Signals. That is the
figure reported during the Boost.Signals2 review. Does anyone know if this
has changed? If not, removing Boost.Signals is a case of requiring some
users to pay for what they do not use (the threadsafety bit). I never used
signals/slots in any context in which I was signalling across thread
boundaries, and I don't expect that to be a common use case.

Zach