Subject: Re: [boost] [Histogram] Status of the review schedule
From: Hans Dembinski (hans.dembinski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-07-11 10:19:23

Dear Mateusz,

> On 10. Jul 2018, at 19:25, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> Following some discussion in January this year, Hans Dembinski's
> Histogram library was scheduled for review in March.
>
> AFAICT, no review happened.
>
> What is the current status of the proposal?

thank you for asking about the status.

Short answer:
The originally scheduled review did not happen, because my review manager dropped out at the last minute. I was not able to find a new review manager quickly, so I decided to work on the library again before rallying up support for a review.

This work is now completed, and I kindly ask the list for support. I need a review manager for histogram.

Github: https://github.com/HDembinski/histogram <https://github.com/HDembinski/histogram>
Docs: http://hdembinski.github.io/histogram/doc/html/ <http://hdembinski.github.io/histogram/doc/html/>
Test coverage is 98 %
Benchmarks have been done, the library is very competitive in terms of performance, in addition to being more user-friendly and customisable than the competitors.

Long answer with additional info:
I went into development again, because one pre-review suggestion was to improve STL compatibility, which turned out to be a very important comment that let me rethink some interface design choices. This work is now completed. You can now do things like this:

auto h = make_static_histogram(…); // make 3d histogram
std::vector<std::tuple<int, double, char>> data_3d = { … }; // tuple contains heterogenous data
std::for_each(data_3d.begin(), data_3d.end(), h); // fill histogram with data tuples

// compute sum of all bin entries
auto bin_sum = std::accumulate(h.begin(), h.end(), h::element_type(0));

Best regards,
Hans