Subject: Re: [boost] [boostbook] cleanup / modernization
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-07-18 16:55:29

On 18/07/2018 14:43, James E. King III via Boost wrote:
> I would have opened an "issue" on the boostorg/boostbook project, however,
> that is not enabled. (Perhaps someone should enable it?)
>
> I have duplicated the boostbook setup scripts into the docker setup
> environment for Ubuntu Bionic and I have found that all of the packages
> that boostbook depends on are ancient.
> PackageVersionLast ModifiedHost
> docbook-xsl 1.75.2 2009 SourceForge
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook/files/docbook-xsl/1.75.2/docbook-xsl-1.75.2.tar.gz>

I always use the latest xsl stylesheets with no trouble, I don't doubt
the setup scripts are hopelessly out of date in respect of this.

> docbook-xml 4.2 2002 oasis-open.org
> <http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbook-xml-4.2.zip>

This one is intentionally fixed at that specific version - newer DTD's
are *not* backwards compatible and most emphatically will not work.

Note that newer versions of the DTD don't necessarily offer us any
gains, though I confess docbook-5 has some nice-to-have features.

Also note that we will always be fixed on one specific DTD - that's sort
of the nature of the beast.

> fop 0.94 2007 Apach
> <http://archive.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/fop/binaries/fop-0.94-bin-jdk1.4.tar.gz>

I don't know if it's improved, but FOP was always pretty useless, when I
used to build the PDF versions of the boost docs (sorry haven't had time
lately, and the build scripts are almost certainly broken by now) I used
XEP for that reason.

In any case, you can use any FO processor you like here.

HTH, John.

---
https://www.avg.com