Subject: Re: [boost] Moving wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-02 08:55:17

https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki).> Unsubscribe &
>>> other changes:
>>
>> I suggest to not to maintain common guidelines on GitHub wiki or
>> anywhere else - Wiki is volatile,
>> too easy to edit by too many or too easy to sneak unwanted edits.
>

> I think it's a judgment call, really:

Yes, it is.

> I see your point, and I agree: on the one hand we have version-controlled
> (relatively static) content, on the other we have easy-to-change volatile
> content.
>
> If it were for truly static content, I would wholeheartedly agree with you.
> But a document describing how to deal with (compiler-specific) warnings is
> inherently a moving target, and thus will quickly get stale unless it's been
> actively maintained (read: updated regularly). And if it's hard to change,
> people will just add their own guidelines elsewhere...

My judgement was that editing documentation via a GitHub pull request
is easy and convenient.

Since, I'm not even close to a position to tell where to host stuff,
I'll wait for the PSC or other authoritative voice to tell where it should go.

I just offered help to migrate the wiki page content to .html file in
boostorg/website.
Actually, it would be better for my own health if I could migrate it
to Markdown ;)

In fact, I would like to see https://github.com/boostorg/docs where all static
documentation is maintained in form of plain Markdown files.
That, however, is a topic for another hardly-ever-ending thread...

Best regards,