Subject: Re: [boost] GNOME outreachy
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-24 10:35:24

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 at 11:44, Niall Douglas via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> But equally, like in Physics, it's very tough to do better if the C++
> employment culture is uncompetitive for women. What few women start out
> in a career in C++ see a marked exodus about five years in, they move
> into management or into a different technology, and I find that
> unwelcome.

 Although I agree on almost if not all points you make, I DO think that the
gender angle is being (generally) approached in a far too simple way
(dictated by political correctness). Sensible people embrace equality and
non-discrimination, the latter being differentiating people (positively or
negatively) on irrelevant (to the question) criteria/qualities. IMHO, many
(most, but certainly not all) women view the world differently from men,
and (for good or for bad) have different priorities [in life] than men. I
think that's the main reason behind the low participation of women in C++,
many women simply don't find C++, and/or programming in general, very
interesting as an occupation (similarly to matchbox toy cars). When we talk
about equality between men and women, we should not make the mistake to
extend that to "women are, or should be, the same as men", they are not
(that's what makes the world rather interesting actually, if I'd have to
discuss the latest football-match with women as well, then that would be
rather boring, I'd rather not talk about football (soccer) at all).

Anyway, that's my ha'pennies worth on this topic: better to concentrate
> on problems specific to C++ rather than import culture wars from the US.

Certainly not, it's crazy to see how PC the US is, while at the same time,
positively discriminating Americans comes quite natural to them.

degski

--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*
*“No, it isn’t truth. Truth isn’t truth" - Rudolph W. L. Giuliani*