Subject: Re: [boost] GNOME outreachy
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-24 15:59:05

> I think that's the main reason behind the
> low participation of women in C++, many women simply don't find C++,
> and/or programming in general, very interesting as an occupation
> (similarly to matchbox toy cars).
I've not seen that personally. More than half the class in a teenage
coding school is usually female. 40% of those taking a Masters in
eCommerce which I used to tutor were female. Back when I used to be
involved with startup incubators, it was usual for a quarter to a third
of the programmers to be female, but do note it was mostly in Javascript
and web programming.

I think women find programming interesting as an occupation just as much
as men. Just probably not in C++, except for a small subset. Some of the
female Physicists and Mathematicians I've known well found C++ very
interesting, and very tempting, given the pay differential over
academia. None I knew made the jump, though, there are big advantages to
being female in academia.

Niall