Subject: Re: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-26 12:53:40

Edward Diener wrote:

> My objection to the usual Boost "dropping C++03 support" is that there is
> absolutely no reason for forcing libraries which do support C++03, while
> being usable at any higher C++ standard level, to do anything.

Boost dropping C++03 support means just that, we announce that Boost no
longer supports C++03. Individual libraries may or may not continue to
support it, but f.ex. trying "b2 install" with a C++03 compiler will no
longer be expected to work.

We could then consider building with -std=c++11 by default on g++ 4.8/4.9,
and with -std=c++14 by default on g++5 and possibly clang (although clang
c++14 doesn't quite work with libstdc++ 4.x so that'd be a problem).