Subject: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Mike Dev (mike.dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-26 16:19:09

I don't know, what distributions are used in HPC computing, but if we have
a short look at common linux distributions that have any sort of long term
support, then I'd say things look pretty good there:

- The oldest Ubuntu version supported in 2020 will be 16.04,
  which ships with gcc-5 (and even 14.04 had an almost complete c++11
  toolchain with gcc-4.8)

- With Debian it is AFAIK Debian 8 (gcc 4.9).

- I'm not sure what counts as EOL for RHEL/CentOS (that might be the
  problematic one), but the way I read the matrix in
 (https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata),
  the oldest relevant distribution in 2020 (although already in
  Extended Life-cycle Support) will be RHEL 6 which only shipped with
  gcc4.4.

  However, RH provides the developer toolsets which include current
  versions of gcc. I'm not familiar with the details though, so maybe
  someone using RHEL could chime in here.

- I'm somewhat expecting Windows to be the more problematic environment as msvc
  only got full c++11 support in 2015 (at least as far as you can call msvc
  standard conformant prior to the very latest version anyway) and extended
  support for 2013 ends in 2024.

I think in general the question is:
How many projects will there be in 2020 that (for whatever reason) still need to
compile in 03 mode, but at the same time are interested in the latest version of
boost? I'd expect that intersection to be very small, but of course it will be
non-zero - and probably remain so for at least another decade (maybe forever).

Maybe one could start survey, but in any case: does boost really want to provide
free and indefinite support for those projects considering that maintenance is
already a problem for some libraries?
And again: Projects outside of boost can always opt to remain at the last
version that had official 03 support.