Subject: Re: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-27 19:35:24

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 9:09 PM Alexander Grund via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> PS: As HPC Systems came up: They usually count in decades. GCC 4.8 was
> released in 2013, so rule of thumb would be that at about 2023 everyone
> is using GCC 4.8+. But you can also look for RHEL support
> (https://access.redhat.com/solutions/19458) RHEL 7 uses GCC 4.8 where
> RHEL 6 is supported till end of 2020 (not counting extended support)

The OS that's running those systems do ship those ancient compilers.
Luckily for us, almost all Supercomputers I work on, do have newer compiler
versions installed via a modules environment. If you are required to use
gcc 4.x, you problem have more pressing issues than Boost 1.7x doesn't
officially support C++03 anymore. And maybe, you can't even use C++ in
those scenarios