Subject: Re: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-28 00:10:02

On 8/27/2018 3:12 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>> On 8/27/2018 2:13 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
>> > If I post "Boost is dropping support for C++03" f.ex. on Twitter or
>> > Reddit, every single user will immediately understand what that
>> means. > :-)
>>
>> I am not a participant of either so some of your humor is lost on me,
>> but I can guess that it suggests that you do not consider the
>> intelligence of the average Twitter or Reddit participant to be very
>> high.
>
> No, that's not at all what I meant. I meant what I said. Users will
> immediately understand "Boost is dropping support for C++03".

I do not think they will understand what it means. If I as a software
developer read this it would mean to me that I will not be able to use
any Boost library in a TU if I am compiling in C++03 mode. Since that
will not be the case, I am clearly not understanding what you intend if
Boost says "Boost is dropping support for C++03".

Language really must mean something that people understand else it is
useless to try to use it. This is why saying "Boost is dropping support
for C++03" is garbage unless it is specifically explained what this
statement entails.