Subject: Re: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-28 02:28:57

On 28/08/2018 12:11, Michael Caisse wrote:
> On 8/27/18 16:11, Gavin Lambert wrote:
>> While I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment, all this does is to
>> impose compatibility headaches on the package maintainers (perhaps of
>> the "successfully links but causes UB that nobody notices for a while"
>> kind, which can end up as more headaches for *you*), or end up with very
>> old versions of your packages being distributed because the newer ones
>> aren't compatible with the standard compilation of their dependencies.
>
> Rule #1 to reduce headaches in distribution: statically link

If you're distributing binaries alone, sure.

I don't know about other distributions, but both Debian and Ubuntu (the
latter of which is one of the most popular desktop distributions, AFAIK)
explicitly discourage use of static libraries for standard open-source
packages.

For that matter, so does ld -- if it finds both a shared library and a
static one at the same location, it will always use the shared one.