Subject: Re: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Olaf van der Spek (ml_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-28 11:19:01

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Glen Fernandes via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 28, 2018, degski wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 11:59, Olaf van der Spek via Boost <
>> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> > AFAIK compilers have improved a lot so using old compilers seems a bit
>> > weird.
>> >

>> The cross-section of people that want to use the latest Boost with the
>> oldest working compiler cannot be enormous. But that seems to be the group
>> (is there more than 1 user like that?) we are worried about here. Indeed,
>> weird.
>>

> It is not enormous but it is big enough that as a Boost maintainer I still
> want to support them.
>
> Weird to a Boost user, sure. Not very weird to those Boost library authors
> that are contacted by such users.

Part of the problem is that there's no data / visibility on this.
Who's using what compilers? When do they plan to move forward?

And what costs do others incur for (some of) Boost having to keep
supporting this too?

> What will change if we (Boost) make that announcement tomorrow? It's still
up to the library maintainer.

Is it?
If one of your dependencies requires C++11...

--
Olaf