Subject: Re: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-28 11:32:32

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 7:19 AM Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> Part of the problem is that there's no data / visibility on this.
> Who's using what compilers? When do they plan to move forward?

Why is lack of data or visibility on this a problem for you?

> And what costs do others incur for (some of) Boost having to keep
> supporting this too?
>
> > What will change if we (Boost) make that announcement tomorrow? It's still
> up to the library maintainer.
>
> Is it?
> If one of your dependencies requires C++11...

Sure. Let's say library Boost.Library today depended on Boost.Core for
boost::addressof and Boost.TypeTraits for boost::aligned_storage -
tomorrow and both Boost.Container and Boost.TypeTraits choose to break
C++03 compatibility: Tomorrow, if Boost.Library's maintainer is still
interested in supporting C++03 users, they will just provide the above
in boost::library::detail::addressof and
boost::library::detail::aligned_storage (either from the existing
implementations or their own).

i.e. Even if we announce any such thing, it is still up to the
maintainer of Boost.Library to drop C++03 support. This might help
push them in that direction if they don't want the maintenance burden
sure, but it is no guarantee, especially if their users are more
important to them.

Glen