Subject: Re: [boost] 1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-28 13:14:55

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 15:44, Andrey Semashev via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The direction is not the current state of affairs and you're suggesting
> changing the current recommendadions.

No, I'm not, I'm just observing what's going on, i.e. commits, issues etc.,
not what's in the readme. Things are moving rather fast, one could qualify
it as 'break-neck-speed', certainly in the context of Boost. I did say this
[support for other OS'es] does not apply to all packages, but the trend
seems to be that that's where things are going. Nobody ever comments, ever,
after somebody reports an issue "it does not build on Ubuntu", "Please try
your luck elsewhere!" That's what I was referring to when I was saying,
"see for yourself".

I don't mind *adding* vcpkg as one possible way to install Boost. I just
> want there to be options for people who don't use MSVC or vcpkg. The
> most basic option is downloading sources and building Boost yourself. I
> think, it should be preserved.

Nobody asked you to add anything to whatever. Yes, I'm aware of the fact
not all people/corps use MSVC, painfully so. I thought, on the other hand
that, on the other side of the divide, this was a non-issue. I'm planning
on getting a taste for that myself, pending SSD delivery. I'll find out if
I was wrong or not.

degski

--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*
*“No, it isn’t truth. Truth isn’t truth" - Rudolph W. L. Giuliani*