Subject: Re: [boost] c++03 library survey
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-29 14:42:18

On 28/08/2018 13:37, Mike Dev via Boost wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> =======Please quote from here ======================================
>
> - Which library/ies are you maintaining? (I assume this isn't some
> sort of private information - otherwise ignore the question)

Boost.Move, Boost.Interprocess, Boost.Container, Boost.Intrusive

> - Would you like to unconditionally use c++11 features if you would
> not have to worry about this breaking boost internal users?
>
> - Would you like to unconditionally use c++11 features if you would
> not have to worry about this breaking any users?

I think my libraries have high C++03 compatibility features. I run the
regression tester for MSVC.7.1 and GCC 3.4 and all my libraries work
correctly in that environment. At work we use C++03, we have a ton of
C++03 software and that's not going to change in many years, that's
typical in many industries that need to maintain software for decades.

> - Would you deprecate your library completely if there were no
> boost-internal users and your current dependencies required
> c++11 (e.g. because your library has been merged into the c++11
> standard library anyway)

I don't think so, if I have time, I will continue developing my
libraries (like Boost.Container) with newer features (like new,
no-standard containers). Portability is also nice feature for a library
(consistent performance-behavior across different compilers/platforms).
E.g. Boost.Move should explore destructive move semantics not available
in the language.

> - Are you yourself using any boost library (in an up-to-date version)
> in a c++03, non-boost project?

Yes.

> - Do you have any Idea if the latest versions of your library is
> used by any important/significant number of c++02 projects?
> [It is only important if *you* consider those projects important
> and or the number significant]

No idea. I know Boost.Move is quite used for quite in many projects that
need to support both C++03 and C++11, but that's the main goal of the
library ;-).

Best,

Ion