Subject: [boost] Let's stop distributing binaries
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-29 14:53:11

The fact is that users of boost use compilers with differing levels of
C++ standard conformance. This creates a number of problems including
(but probably not limited to)

a) Using libraries built with different levels of C++ conformance may
create ABI issues.

b) it creates a discussion about "dropping C++03 support". Actually it
creates a discussion about that the above actually means.

c) It's motivated a suggestion that all libraries move to header only.
This is not great idea - but I won't address that here.

I believe all these issues - and more - would disappear if we just
stopped distributing binaries. Each user would be building his own
boost version with (presumably) the same compiler. Since C++03
compatible libraries are C++?? compatible, each library author can
maintain the level of backward compatibility that he wishes.

But if we're not going to distribute binaries, then users might as well
just clone the latest "certified - good - tagged" version in the master
branch from the github repo. That is, let's just stop or truncate the
whole release circus. Replace with an occasional
"certification/versioning procedure" which would make available a
"squashed" master suitable for efficient cloning.

This would make everyone's life easier.

Robert Ramey