Subject: Re: [boost] Let's stop distributing binaries
From: Richard (legalize_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-30 16:34:59

In article <CAGVGHmtg=P0F-Bek5NRpo9g7_S26vAK1PTMcM6+ymDPY1Tkr_w_at_[hidden]>,
    Olaf van der Spek via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I agree the docs aren't ideal.

That's stating it kindly.

> Was b2 that bad 10 years ago? :p

It was always bad and 10 years ago it was worse.

> vcpkg doesn't do binaries. ;)

While vcpkg is a reasonable MS-specific system for VS-only users.
The only reason it exists is because the community hasn't created a
packaging system that works well across all platforms. Conan looks to
be a step in the right direction, although I personally would not have
chosen any connection to Python. However, as I noted earlier on this
thread, Conan is also in a teething stage and seems to have gone down
the typical "Everything is unix!" trap/rabbit hole.

> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:40 AM, Tom Kent via Boost
> > <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > I have great respect for where this request comes from. I wish every
> > developer (especially the ten years ago me) could easily understand how to
> > build their own copy of boost. However, I think we as a community need to
> > spend a lot more time thinking about the end-users who want to use boost
> > but aren't already familiar with it.
>
> True

Same here.

            The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>