Subject: Re: [boost] [cmake] Pull request announcement
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-14 14:23:26

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Mike Dev via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> unless I'm encountering an overwhelming resistance to this idea
> here on the ml, I intend to create a batch of PRs that introduce
> minimal cmake support to a large subset of boost libraries
> (maybe even all).
>
> It appears that cmake efforts have yet again stalled.
> Last I heard was that everyone is waiting for BCM and
> the author of that library still tries to find a review manager.
> As we probably can't expect a full-fledged, boost-wide solution
> in the near future I'm trying it with a low-effort
> approach that will establish the minimal framework needed such
> that each library can be (where necessary) build with cmake
> and specify it's dependencies on other libraries (the latter
> being the really important part).

I think a Cmake support proposal should involve a more complete
approach that supports the current Boost workflow, including building
and testing, and offer an easy integration into users' projects. Any
such proposal should go through a review (possibly, a joint review of
multiple proposals). Whichever solution is accepted, it automatically
rejects any other proposals (because, let's be honest, noone wants to
do the job twice). Accepting an inferior solution without a review
does a poor service to Boost libraries and prematurely shoots down
other efforts.