Subject: Re: [boost] [cmake] Pull request announcement
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-14 16:13:55

>> The major problem I see are the variants.
>>
>> - b2 can build multiple variants in one go (static, dynamic, runtimes...)
>> - Encoding these variants has to be reflected in the target names/aliases
>
> CMake fundamentally doesn't work this way.

Via targets and modern cmake, it very easily can.

This is my single biggest objection to the approach taken for Boost
cmake to date in fact. It has stuck with legacy cmake design patterns of
configuration knobs and multiple invocations to generate variants. But I
can probably suck down this objection, if nothing else is problematic in
Boost cmake during its peer review.

Niall