Subject: Re: [boost] CMake in Boost
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-14 20:56:40

Hi Robert, all,

it's obvious that there is a wide range of opinions not only on CMake
itself, but also (and in particular) on what it means for Boost to
"support CMake". And while I'm happy to see that you are suggesting a
"Request for Proposals" rather than a "solution", I still think the
problem space is a bit ill-defined. Perhaps we need to talk a bit about
requirements first, which proposals need to meet to be eligible. (For
example, one requirement I'd insist on would be "the proposal must give
project maintainers enough latitude to decide themselves whether to
adopt the proposed solution", i.e. any monolithic solution would by
design be excluded.)

While I'm not a big fan of overly formal processes, I'm afraid that the
effort people put into such proposals will just lead to frustration as
things will stall again, eventually. And as long as we can't even come
to some basic agreement as to how to move forward (not even involving
technical aspects of any particular solution), I think it would be
irresponsible to invite people to submit proposals.

Sorry,

Stefan