Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in Unicode library for Boost?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-23 15:40:17

Zach Laine wrote:

> You can find the online docs here: https://tzlaine.github.io/text

I find the "string" layer a hard sell. First, realistically, nobody is going
to use it over std::string, especially when its selling point is "we make
your code not compile by removing functions from std::string". Second, some
of the removed functions are part of the Sequence requirements. Hard to see
the benefits of that removal; string<Ch> and vector<Ch> being compatible on
a concept level is useful.

This of course in no way diminishes the utility of the library. If its
opinionated `string` is part of the price of admission, so be it. I'm just
saying. :-)