Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in Unicode library for Boost?
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-23 15:55:12

On 9/23/18 11:37 AM, Zach Laine via Boost wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 4:57 AM Andrey Semashev via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On 9/23/18 7:45 AM, Zach Laine via Boost wrote:
>>
>> I think a Unicode library is very much needed in Boost.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, it looks like you implemented Unicode algorithms
>> yourself. Why not use a specialized library, like ICU?
> It's partly a question of the size of ICU, which is several megabytes,
> whereas Boost.Text is only 1.2-2MB depending on your compiler.

Ideally, a "Unicode library for Boost" would offer an API, and the
question of what backend is used would be an implementation detail.
While I'm very enthusiastic about proper Unicode support being added to
C++, I have a hard time with the tendency in the Boost community to
reinvent wheels, i.e. the NIH syndrome. A good API / library design
should allow me to plug in existing implementations (for standard
functionality that's already implemented many times before), as a matter
of code reuse and maintainability.

Best,

Stefan