Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in Unicode library for Boost?
From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-23 18:39:24

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 10:55 AM Peter Dimov via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Zach Laine wrote:
>
> > So, the string layer stuff is still there, but it's usefulness is now
> > probably restricted to its interoperation with unencoded_rope.
>
> Also, `string` stealing the buffer of `string_builder`, which can't be
> implemented in terms of std::string.

True, but I don't know how to implement a string_builder that interoperates
with std::string (without standardizing it, of course).

> Either way, I still think that removing push_back is taking things a bit
> too
> far.

Fair enough. As crazy as it sounds, I had to add resize() at some point
too. I may have gone too far, as you say. :)

However, it would still be my preference that SequenceContainer support
front(), back(), and push_back() as algorithms, not members. I see no
value in dragging that member API around with us for every new
SequenceContainer we introduce -- at least not for new code. Having those
functions as algorithms still allows them to be used generically.

Zach