Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in Unicode library for Boost?
From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-23 19:07:29

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 11:04 AM Robert Ramey via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 9/22/18 9:45 PM, Zach Laine via Boost wrote:
> > I've been working on a Unicode library for submission to Boost, with an
> eye
> > toward standardizing robust Unicode support for C++.
>
> Hmmm isn't there a lot of overlap with Boost.Locale:
>

> https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/locale/doc/html/charset_handling.html

Not that I can tell. They both operate using UTF encodings, but as I
understand it Boost.Locale concerns itself heavily (exclusively?) with
iostreams, whereas Boost.Text has no relation to iostreams except for a few
stream inserters.

Also, in boost detail there's a UTF facet which has been in use for
> many, many years. What would be the relationship with that?

None at all.

I should note that there are two or three different UTF-8 <-> UTF-32
standalone transcoding implementations in Boost, but as far as I can tell
(I only tried with two of them) none of them produces encoding errors in
the manner (replacement character, not exception) and locations within the
code units stream recommended by Unicode.

Zach