Subject: [boost] Making Boost invisible
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-25 17:08:00

Folks I have a bug report against Boost.Config that I don't know what
(if anything) I should do about:
https://github.com/boostorg/config/issues/243

The issue is this: lets say I build boost as static libraries with
-fvisibilty=hidden because I want my application or shared library to
*hide all boost symbols*.  But there are some parts of boost which
unconditionally make things visible - throw_exception is one particular
culprit, but there are others, probably anything which uses
BOOST_SYMBOL_VISIBLE in fact.

Question: should we support this?  If so how?  The only thing I can
think of is a user-defined macro which when set, disables symbol visibility.

Thoughts?

Thanks, John.

---