Subject: Re: [boost] [container][interprocess][intrusive][move] Removing support for old compilers
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-01 15:46:11

Ion Gaztañaga wrote:

> My first idea is to drop anything older than 10 years, which means that
> the minimum will be MSVC 9.0 and GCC 4.3 (both released in 2008).

A good heuristic is to not support anything not present on Travis and
Appveyor, which at the moment translates to GCC 4.4, Clang 3.3 and MSVC 9.0.
This is very close to what you've chosen.

(As a general observation, pull requests that break GCC < 5, MSVC < 12.0
often get merged, so Boost overall isn't likely to work very well on them,
although individual libraries might. The Travis superproject build is
catching some of the GCC 4.8 issues, but not all, and GCC 4.4 and 4.6 are
being paid close to no attention.)