Subject: Re: [boost] [container][interprocess][intrusive][move] Removing support for old compilers
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-01 17:18:40

> Ion Gaztañaga wrote:
>
>> My first idea is to drop anything older than 10 years, which means
>> that the minimum will be MSVC 9.0 and GCC 4.3 (both released in 2008).
>
> A good heuristic is to not support anything not present on Travis and
> Appveyor, which at the moment translates to GCC 4.4, Clang 3.3 and
> MSVC 9.0. This is very close to what you've chosen.
>
> (As a general observation, pull requests that break GCC < 5, MSVC <
> 12.0 often get merged, so Boost overall isn't likely to work very well
> on them, although individual libraries might. The Travis superproject
> build is catching some of the GCC 4.8 issues, but not all, and GCC 4.4
> and 4.6 are being paid close to no attention.)

With respect to older compilers, it's also worth asking what kind of
support we should expect - for example gcc-4.4 is a pretty reasonable
C++03 compiler, but personally I refuse to continue to support C++0x
mode when that pre-dates the standard and varies from it quite
considerably.   4.6 and 4.7 also have enough foibles in C++0x mode to
require a fair number of workarounds, but once we get to 4.8 the
compiler is good enough not to require too many herculean efforts to
support.

Just my 2c.... John.

---