Subject: Re: [boost] [parameter] An offer to help maintain and improve the library
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-13 01:24:29

On 10/12/2018 10:21 AM, Cromwell Enage via Boost wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> It took me a while to get around to this, but here goes.
>
> I've been a long-time user of Boost libraries, although life events imposed
> a bit of a hiatus until recently. But now I have the opportunity to help
> out some more, and one of the ways I want to give back to this community is
> by helping to maintain and improve Boost.Parameter. I participated in the
> review of this library before it was accepted, so I'm familiar with its
> capabilities and code structure.
>
> In addition to fixing any bugs and handling pull requests, I'd like to make
> the following improvements, which I will summarize here:
>
> * Add macros to generate Boost.Parameter-enabled function call operators.
> * Add parameter category qualifiers "consume", "move_from", and "forward".
> (Current qualifiers are "in", "out", and "in_out".)
> * Fix parameter::parameters::operator() so that it also accepts non-const
> rvalues.
> * Be no longer bound by BOOST_PARAMETER_MAX_ARITY on compilers that support
> perfect forwarding.
> * Enable parameter::template_keyword<> to accept function types.
> * Remove the necessity of wrapping boost::ref() around non-const lvalues.
>
> I can discuss each of these bullet points in separate threads if necessary.
>
> I await your feedback!
>
> Cromwell D. Enage

I encouraged Mr. Enage to introduce himself on this mailing list as a
potential maintainer for the Parameter library. His PR for the Parameter
library, at https://github.com/boostorg/parameter/pull/13, convinced me
that he could be a worthy maintainer for that library, which currently
has no official maintainer of which I know. I have always been impressed
by the work of David Abrahams and Daniel Wallin in creating the library,
and although others have made some small fixes to the library over the
years I think it would be greatly to Boost's benefit if someone who had
experience with the library and who had a willingness to maintain and
improve the library, as Mr. Enage clearly has, could step forth and
clearly do so.