Subject: Re: [boost] Installing CMake configuration files
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-18 14:44:02

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 5:19 PM Stefan Seefeld via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [ I'm very happy to see some effort being put into modularization, but I
> do wonder why we couldn't do the same for Boost.Build itself. That is,
> I'd like to be able to declare explicitly in my Jamfile that my project
> X depends on project Y and Z, which should be enough to pull in all
> "usage requirements" (including include and library search paths) from
> those prerequisites, so no matter where they are (in the same source
> tree or pre-built and installed), I can run the build. ]

We can do that.. And I've been moving towards doing that for more than a
decade. But we've been sufficiently married to the monolithic development
for so long that it's painful to make those changes. And again, it's not
the build system at fault, b2 supports such modularity. And what I argue in
the cmake thread is that we *must* do that for the sake of being able to
easily support our users and the future of Boost.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything