Subject: [boost] Boost 2 and build2
From: Boris Kolpackov (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-25 12:35:20

I've noticed the discussion on Boost 2 where build2 was mentioned as
one of the potential build systems. So I wanted to say that we would
be happy to help on our side with any questions, missing features
(like exporting targets in a CMake-compatible manner, as mentioned
by Niall), etc.

Also a couple of additional points about build2 that I think could
be relevant to Boost 2 (or 1):

1. It is currently the only build system that I am aware of that has
   support for C++ modules (currently TS but we are tracking the
   standardization/implementation progress closely; see [1] for
   details). Now that modules are likely to be in C++20 I think
   this should be at least a consideration for Boost 2.

2. We have a public CI service[2] for open source project that I think
   could be quite useful to Boost. It might not currently be as extensive
   as Boost's (see [3] for the currently offered build configurations)
   but we are continuously expanding it plus Boost can run its own build
   machines with additional configurations.

3. build2 comes with a package manager[4] and Boost could take advantage
   of that by either publishing to cppget.org or running its own package
   repository (or both).

I am happy to answer any questions here (if appropriate, of course), on
the build2 mailing list[5], or on the #build2 slack channel[6].

[1] https://build2.org/build2/doc/build2-build-system-manual.xhtml#cxx-modules
[2] https://ci.cppget.org
[3] https://ci.cppget.org/?build-configs
[4] https://build2.org/build2-toolchain/doc/build2-toolchain-intro.xhtml#guide-repositories