Subject: Re: [boost] [parameter] Go C++11 and above only, or keep C++03 support?
From: James E. King III (jking_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-03 19:49:09

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 1:35 PM Nikita Kniazev via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The major problem is that Boost does not see its users; most of them do not
> read mail lists and changelogs, even documentation is read only during
> active development and by developers who actually touches boost namespace.
> To library maintainers they usually appear only when something is
> completely broken and we cannot blame anyone about it, but it makes nearly
> impossible to gather any statistics. The other point is that Boost is free
> and users may decide not to raise their voice because it can look like they
> try to dictate investment priorities of others spare time.
> If Boost really wants to survey C++03 users it can be most effectively done
> in the code by showing them a message with a conditional pragma #error
> “Boost wants to hear your voice. It is time to revise the minimal
> requirements. Please give us feedback about your preferences at <url> or
> mail list. To continue #define BOOST_I_ACKNOWLEDGE_EMERGING_CXX03_DEATH” in
> some libraries or globally in Boost.Config headers. It is not too late to
> make this for 1.69.

Seems a bit extreme.

Folks who want to continue to use C++03 can use boost version 1.68.0 or
later for
the majority of libraries already. I thought there was agreement on the
mailing list that
boost was going to move forward, not just for the sake of moving forward,
but where it
makes sense to do so. I assume the 1.69.0 release notes will have a top
level item to
this effect.

In reading this thread it sounds like a change was proposed, could possibly
be made
backwards compatible or conditional with effort. For modifications to
existing libraries
as stated in the original email, most of the time folks leverage the
BOOST_NO_CXX11_*
macros to make their changes conditional. It is up to the maintainer of
the repository
to decide if they want to continue to continue support C++03 or not at this
point correct?

Remember, folks can download an earlier version of boost to keep using
C++03 if any
repository moves forward.

- Jim