Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.CI for Boost Repository Build Quality
From: James E. King III (jking_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-05 16:30:28

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:07 AM Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> AFAICT, there is no support for AppVeyor Linux builds.
> Any reason behind that?
>
> I think AppVeyor Linux could be a useful alternative or complementary
> Linux-based service.
> Especially that Travis CI for boostorg are is permanently unresponsive
> due to long
> running builds of certain, if not most, Boost libraries.
>
> Best regards,
> --

I'm not trying to imply or state that this is something that must be used
everywhere.
It's been tremendously helpful and is being used on 20+ boost repositories
already.
Therefore I think it should be pulled into boostorg as the "owner".

Apart from that:
What would AppVeyor provide that Travis does not, other than the timeout
issue?

I agree, I've seen what you are talking about with the timeouts. I would
say any build that takes
over 50 minutes is too long and should be broken up or optimized or
simplified somehow anyway.

Also, AppVeyor has some deficiencies:
  - In AppVeyor I get one concurrent job. In Travis I get 5.
  - In AppVeyor I cannot restart an individual job that is part of a suite
of builds in a PR. In Travis I can.

- Jim