Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.CI for Boost Repository Build Quality
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-05 18:50:48

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 at 17:30, James E. King III <jking_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:07 AM Mateusz Loskot via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> AFAICT, there is no support for AppVeyor Linux builds.
>> Any reason behind that?
>>
>> I think AppVeyor Linux could be a useful alternative or complementary
>> Linux-based service.
>> Especially that Travis CI for boostorg are is permanently unresponsive
>> due to long running builds of certain, if not most, Boost libraries.
>
> I'm not trying to imply or state that this is something that must be used everywhere.
> It's been tremendously helpful and is being used on 20+ boost repositories already.
> Therefore I think it should be pulled into boostorg as the "owner".
>
> Apart from that:
> What would AppVeyor provide that Travis does not, other than the timeout issue?

AFAIK, it does not provide anything different or better than to Travis.
For me,
- it is a spare check that allows me to ignore Travis (long) pending jobs
- it is there, it i savailable, so why not to use it

For Boost GIL, Geometry, CircleCI plays an important role too.

> I agree, I've seen what you are talking about with the timeouts. I would say any build that takes
> over 50 minutes is too long and should be broken up or optimized or simplified somehow anyway.

Or divide: set A on Travis, set B on AppVeyor, then sum of the checks
means healthy PR, etc.

Best regards,